Wednesday, 04 June 2008
Matt's favorite treat? His mom's strawberry jam. Jean's jam is so delicious, and Matt eats it like it's going out of style! Seriously, Matt can load up a piece of toast like none other. Well, instead of mooching off Jean's supply any longer, we decided to pick strawberries and attempt making our own jam. On Saturday (5/31), we headed out to Blueberry Hill in Cobden to pick strawberries. It was about 80 degrees at 9:30am and the sweat was just dripping off my nose, but we picked until we had 2 flats! Luckily, it only took about 40 minutes.
I guess we could have bought the berries that were already picked, but what's the fun in that? After we got done, I actually had to go to work, which means that Matt cleaned and cut all those strawberries by himself. He said that it took an hour and a half! Matt's hard work! He was pretty anxious to make the jam and wanted to get started the minute I got home from work. Sooo....
Matt did most of the mashing while I prepared the sugar/pectin mixture. We did have quite the system going on, which is necessary when we only have about 4 square inches of counter space in our apartment. We made 4 batches of jam and still had leftover strawberries! Once we figured out what to do, it was surprisingly easy to make.
No comments:
Post a Comment