Well it's been a while since we last updated our site. One reason is our computer crashed and was out of commission for a few weeks. Another reason is it seems like we've been busy; so this is our catch up time for the last month.
First of all, I started a new job as a long term high school math substitute teacher at South Routt County Schools (SOROCO). I started on January 29 and will be working there until the middle of April because a teacher took a maternity leave. So far it has been going alright. I have a couple of classes that test my patience everyday, but for the most the kids are good. Sometimes I do wonder if I was as lazy and whinny in high school as some of these kids are. I tend to think not. I am teaching two sections of Algebra/Geometry III, one section of College Algebra, and one section of math to resource kids (these kids have learning disabilities, problems at home, or a number of other issues). Like I said, so far it's going alright. I'm into week number four and I'm still alive.
First Day of School
We also went snow shoeing up Fish Creek Falls near Steamboat Springs on February 3rd. I think we've done this trail during every season of the year now. It was nice as usual. We didn't make it up two the second falls like we had hoped. The snow was just getting two difficult to walk through. There were a lot of skiers and snowboarders up there though. I guess they were skiing off the backside of the ski resort. The sun was out and it was very warm. It made for a nice day.
Over President's Day weekend Julie and I took a little trip to Denver. We made a stop along the way in Grand Lake so I could spend the $100 gift certificate I had won at the Snowshoe Festival. I ended up getting a new backpack with it. Since we were so close to Rocky Mountain National Park we decided to go for a short jaunt with our snowshoes. Again, it was a nice, sunny Colorado day. We didn't go very far because we still had to drive another two hours to Denver, but it was still nice to get out and enjoy the day a bit.
We spent part of the Saturday, all day Sunday, and part of the Monday shopping in town. We stopped at every outdoor shop we could, I spent some time looking for new dress clothes for school, and Julie looked for all the really great deals. It was a fun time, but I was definitely glad to get home and out of the city.
Yesterday, we went to Rabbit Ears Pass to do a bit of snowshoeing. We did a four mile loop trail that we had done earlier in the season. We both agreed that it seemed a lot easier this time around. It was a snowy, gloomy day up on the mountain. There was 16 inches of fresh powder on the ground, but luckily for us somebody had beaten us up there and blazed the trail. We got half way around the trail and stopped and had our lunch, continued and ran into someone unexpectedly. With a mile or so left on the trail we ran into the principal at Julie's high school and her boyfriend. It turns out they were the ones blazing the trail for us. We stopped and chatted with them a bit (they took our picture below), and then we decided to plow the trail for them the rest of the way. Another fun day; it's always nice to get outside and play every chance you get.
No comments:
Post a Comment