The Nutcracker

Saturday, 13 December 2008
How often do you get asked the question, "What did you do last night?" Ok, so maybe not that many times, but I have an awesome answer for that question if anyone wants to ask. WE WENT TO THE NUTCRACKER. Yeah, that's right. The Nutcracker ballet. In St. Louis. It was fabulous! I have always wanted to go, but we have either never had the funds for such an event OR we haven't gotten tickets in time before it sells out. (Mostly, it's the former.) Well, Matt took the plunge and bought tickets on Tuesday for Friday's opening night performance. We got dressed up and left after school - meaning that I picked up Matt from campus and we left straight from there. The Nutcracker was showing in the Edison Theater at Washington University in St. Louis. The theater was great - and even though our seats were in the back row, it was a small enough theater that we could still see every expression on the dancers faces. It was so incredible! I have taught the music to how many students over the years but have never experienced it first-hand until last night. Matt was a little less familiar with the story, but the program had a story summary so he knew what was going on. The costumes were beautiful, the set was amazing, and the dancing was beyond words. It was such a great time - and I'm so thankful that we got to go! I'll post a few pictures of us dressed up once Matt gets back from Ohio.
On a side note, during the battle scene where the Mouse King fights the Nutcracker, there were a few little mice out there waddling around in their big mouse costumes. At one point, Matt leaned over to me and said, "I can totally see Gracie doing that someday!" Maybe our niece has a future in ballet?

No comments:

Post a Comment