Drive By Shooting

Wednesday, 30 July 2008

Well, ok, actually more like a "bike ride bugging." So this morning I was attempting to save a few cents by hopping on my bike for a short ride to our local backpacker/outdoor store. After successfully finding what I needed, I hopped back on my bike. A few blocks down the road, I got a bit distracted and looked to my left at a guy who was spraying stain on a deck. (On a side note, I was thinking to myself how amazing that contraption was and how much time and energy he was saving by spraying the deck!) Well, out of nowhere, I was knocked upside the head by a cicada the size of a barn swallow! Upon impact, my bike swerved a bit and I almost lost it. Just think; 26-year-old sprawled out on the street! I narrowly missed that one! That bug assaulted my forehead and made the loudest thump I'd ever care to hear coming from my head. I audibly said something like "ow" mixed with a frustrated "aargh" sound and immediately wiped the bug guts from my face. (THERE'S something you don't do every day!) Of course, right after that, I looked around for any witnesses, but only saw the one guy that I had just passed right before the incident. Oh, and the guy with the stain sprayer, but I'm pretty sure he was preoccupied with his work. Seriously. Part of me wants to go get in the shower and rid myself of the cicada completely, and part of me just wants to smile and embrace Southern Illinois. After this, I wonder if I'm officially a Southern Illinoisan now... That's just too funny of a story to keep to myself! I could just pretend it didn't happen to save my pride, but it's more worth it to look stupid to my friends and family and tell you about my experience. You're welcome.

No comments:

Post a Comment