Deer Hunting-2007

Saturday, 17 November 2007

This year, I hunted in southern Illinois for the first time. A buddy of mine from school suggested that I get a tag for a chunk of public land down here that was opened up for deer hunting for the first time in many years. We went out there scouting a couple of times, and there were deer every where. On Friday morning (opening day) I decided to set up on the edge of a cornfield where I had seen 15-20 deer a couple of evenings prior. I only had a doe tag so I figured it would be pretty easy to fill it. It was a mile to mile and a half walk into this place. I saw a lot of deer throughout the morning, but most of them were bucks. I had one nice eight come with in fifteen yards of me, but of course I couldn't shoot. I had seen a doe and a fawn in the corner of field next to me so I thought I would try a stalk. It was set up nicely because of the wind and that fact the the edge of the field dropped down into a wooded flood plain (shown in the picture below). I had moved to within 150 yards of this doe and fawn, and paused for a moment to see if I could figure out which direction they were heading. As I was about to start moving again, I happened to look down into the flood plain and saw a doe 40 yards from me at the base of the hill and then spotted two more little six points that were near by. She had no clue I was there at all. I waited until she got into in opening and took one shot (took out the heart). She ran maybe 30 yards and then I saw her tip over . Then the real work began.

No comments:

Post a Comment